The Accounting Manager will lead all day-to-day finance operations and work closely with the Senior Staff Accountant and Staff Accountant in a coordination role to ensure that daily, weekly, monthly accounting processes are performed with quality and timeliness. S/he will ensure that LWR has the systems and procedures in place to support effective financial systems and processes, and provide key support for audits. S/he will work closely with LWR directors and staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to maintain and improve accounting processes that support LWR’s operations.
- Accounting Operations
- Responsible for the smooth processing of all “daily” accounting operations including processing of accounts payable, cash receipts, journal entries, allocations, accruals, payroll journals, other disbursements, and adjustments. This position reviews the processes and work of staff to ensure that transactions are processed accurately, efficiently, and timely.
- Monitor, assess, and manage daily cash flow and account balances and initiate action as needed to manage cash effectively. Update monthly/ quarterly cash flow models.
- Perform detailed review as well as general oversight of the semi-monthly payroll process, including expatriate employees, to ensure that payroll is processed in a timely, accurate, and efficient manner for the benefit of employees, statutory reporting, and allocations purposes.
- The Accounting Manager also serves as a key backup in the absence of the Sr. Staff Accountant and ensures effective coordination with Human Resources department.
- Act as System Administrator of ADP ensuring that security and access controls are appropriate and effective. Ensure smooth and effective integration of payroll with other accounting and reporting systems.
- Responsible for proper tracking and monitoring and compliance with reporting requirements related to unclaimed property (principally uncleared checks).
INTERNAL CONTROLS & POLICY COMPLIANCE
Oversees the design and application of internal controls for all financial transaction processing. Identify the need for new controls during changing environments.
- Provide day-to-day support to LWR budget holders and staff related to proper application of LWR finance policies, financial and third party reporting support, and systems support.
- Develop, update, and deliver orientations to new staff and ongoing training and support to all staff regarding finance policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Accounting Support and Analysis
- Perform monthly and quarterly general ledger analysis on various asset, liability, revenue and expense accounts.
- Maintain/update planned and actual use of cost share and prepare periodic updates showing usage of cost share by period and future commitments.
- Support the development of the annual NICRA proposal and other cost recovery calculations.
- Assist with research regarding application of GAAP, LWR policies, and other relevant guidance (such as joint costs, revenue recognition, coding, etc.)
- Engage in ongoing professional development.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor and the Leadership Team.
- Be responsible and accountable for engaging US Lutherans effectively in the work of LWR and ensuring that LWR’s work in marginalized communities is of the highest quality and integrity.
1. Five to seven years of accounting experience required, non-profit accounting experience highly desired.
2. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business strongly preferred. Equivalent experience may be considered.
3. Familiarity with USG regulations, NICRA calculations highly desired.
4. Experience with Abila MIP Fund Accounting preferred.
5. Ability to perform analytical review and think critically.
6. Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural context. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of varied backgrounds.
7. Highly proficient in using general ledger and other financial management systems, Microsoft Office, and web browser applications
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Deep commitment to LWRs core value and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.