Assistant Program Officer, Western Balkans – Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia (Job #1812)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a Congressionally-funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support democracy around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for Western Balkans. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Assistant Program Officer will assist the regional Program Officer and other senior staff with management, administration, and development of grant programs in the Western Balkans, with emphasis on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, support existing grantees, and assist in developing prospective grantees.
- Assist in the evaluation of project proposals;
- Draft summaries of proposals to present at quarterly Board meetings;
- Communicate regularly with current grantees and applicants;
- Assist in monitoring the work of existing grantees;
- Track political developments in the Western Balkans, with emphasis on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia;
- Provide administrative support to the Europe Team, as needed;
- Help to organize events highlighting specific democracy-related issues;
- Assist in travel to identify and work with potential and existing grantees.
- Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge in International Affairs, Political Science, History, Regional Studies or a related discipline is preferred;
- At least 3 years of experience in democracy related work is required;
- Related field experience is preferred;
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of political issues and trends in the Western Balkans;
- MS Office skills required.
- Other Qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English;
- Strong technical writing skills;
- Knowledge of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian languages is considered a strong asset;
- Experience in financial management and reporting;
- Knowledge of program evaluation techniques;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary requirements, and contact information for three professional references. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries.