Assistant Program Officer, Western Balkans (Job #1779)
Organization Summary (Please summarize the organization in 250 words or less.)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a private, nonprofit foundation dedicated to the growth and strengthening of democratic institutions around the world. Each year, NED makes more than 1,400 grants to support the projects of non-governmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 90 countries.
The NED is an independent, bipartisan, grantmaking organization funded by an annual Congressional appropriation. Its aims are to promote democratic reform and foster civil society worldwide. The Endowment is also the home of the International Forum for Democratic Studies, the Journal of Democracy, and serves as the secretariat for the World Movement for Democracy. The Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program is an international exchange program that offers practitioners, scholars, and journalists from around the world the opportunity to conduct independent research on democracy in a particular country or region. The Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA) is a research and knowledge platform that aims to improve the effectiveness of media development around the world. CIMA provides information, builds networks, conducts research, and highlights the indispensable role media play in the creation and development of sustainable democracies.
Position Summary (Please summarize this job description in 250 words or less.)
The Assistant Program Officer will assist senior staff with management, administration, and development of grant programs in the Western Balkans, with emphasis on Albania, Kosovo, and Macedonia, support existing grantees and assist in developing prospective grantees.
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a Congressionally-funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support democracy around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer for Western Balkans. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Assist in the evaluation of project proposals;
- Draft summaries of proposals to present at quarterly Board meetings;
- Communicate regularly with current grantees and applicants;
- Assist in monitoring the work of existing grantees;
- Track political developments in the Western Balkans, with emphasis on Albania, Kosovo, and Macedonia;
- Provide administrative support to the Europe Team, as needed;
- Help to organize events highlighting specific democracy-related issues;
- Assist in travel to identify and work with potential new and existing grantees.
- Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge in International Affairs, Political Science, History, Regional Studies or a related discipline is preferred;
- At least 3 years of experience in democracy related work is required;
- Related field experience in one or more relevant countries is preferred;
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of political issues and trends in the Western Balkans;
- MS Office skills required.
- Other Qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English;
- Strong technical writing skills;
- Knowledge of relevant languages considered an asset;
- Experience in financial management and reporting;
- Knowledge of program evaluation techniques;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Job #1779 – APO, WESTERN BALKANS - YOUR NAME in the subject line.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries