IMPACT Project Chief of Party
Africare is the oldest and largest African-American founded organization in the field. Africare's programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Throughout its 40 year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability
Africare is rolling out the Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) project in Kenya. The goal of IMPACT is to significantly improve nutrition outcomes for pregnant and lactating women and infants and young children (defined as <2 years of age) in Turkana County. Africare aims thereby to sustainably increase diet diversity, and reduce malnutrition and hunger.
Africare will serve as lead in delivering the IMPACT Program. IMPACT currently targets villages in Katilu and Turkana South Wards where the program seeks to increase the quality and quantity of nutritious foods available to households via community gardening and improved nutrition services via health worker training and capacitation, in addition to promoting improved optimal infant and young child feeding (IYCF) and hygiene practices, and micronutrient supplementation via a set behavior change package owned by Africare; all of which will be delivered via specified channels at the health facility and community levels.
Africare seeks to hire a Chief of Party (CP) for IMPACT who will lead all coordination and implementation of Africare’s Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) Project. Reporting to the Dir of M&E at Africare HQ in Washington DC, the Chief of Party will serve as the primary Africare representative for this project in Kenya. The individual will be responsible for the strategic leadership and direction Africare’s program in Kenya. S/He will manage all aspects of the country program including technical, programmatic and operational aspects while ensuring optimal use of human, financial and physical resources and for full compliance with donor regulations and requirements and Africare policies. S/He will develop and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with representatives from the Government of South Africa (SAG), academic institutions, donors, supporters and other implementing and collaborating partners. S/He will promote partnerships between the project, government ministries, and other stakeholders and will undertake documentation of quantitative and qualitative information on experiences and lessons learnt from the implementation of the program.
The Chief of Party bears final responsibility for meeting program deliverables by both lead and local partners, and for the achievement of strategic objectives, intermediate results, and performance expectations through adherence to high standards of programmatic and management quality.
The CP will oversee county offices and sub-grantee(s), including collaborations with local government and extension workers, overseeing teams of 6-10 in each ward location. The CP of the proposed IMPACT project will provide supervision, strategic direction, and leadership to the Project Management Team, with regards to the progress and course of action(s) on the program. S/he will be primarily based in Lodwar, Turkana County, and will supervise a small core team of ten to 20 staff. S/He will provide the highest level of technical leadership and program quality assurance in Kenya.
- Provide strategic leadership to the design and implementation of the country programs, projects and activities and oversee program planning, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation.
- Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones and technical quality standards, and to achieve project objectives, deliverables and targets.
- Provide leadership and manage to ensure that all projects and activities are executed in line with and meet the technical standards and expectations of Africare and its donors and supporters.
- Oversee and coordinate the successful completion of planning and budgeting requirements of the project office.
- Ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor the implementation of projects, including progress toward achieving objectives and targets with high quality and on-time performance.
- Provide effective oversight to all financial and administrative functions undertaken by the country office to ensure efficient and effective and the provision of sufficient administrative support to all projects.
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with Africare standard operating procedures, and donor policies and regulations, and national policies and laws.
- Develop and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with representatives from the Government of Kenya, country government officials in Turkana, academic institutions, donor, supporters and other implementing and collaborating partners.
- Ensure documentation and dissemination of findings, impact, innovations, and lessons learned.
- Lead in-country efforts for development and mobilization of new resources and donor commitments.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in International Development, Public Health Nutrition, Social Sciences, Mass Communications, Management, Business, Marketing, Humanities, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 10 years’ of relevant work experience, preferably in program management with some technical expertise in international aid, policy and advocacy, or health, nutrition, and food security projects with focus on livelihoods and economic empowerment.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Northern Kenya; specific Turkana County, an advantage.
- Earned value management, project management, and monitoring skills. Strong project oversight and operations skills. Ability to organize systems to monitor project results.
- Demonstrated capacity to liaise and negotiate with key stakeholders in other organizations, private sector, small business owners, community groups, government agencies, civil society groups, health institutions and trade unions. Capacity for diplomacy and advocacy.
- Demonstrable ability to work with myriad partners.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills with proficiency (reading, writing, speaking and comprehension) in English and Kiswahili. Ability to Speak HaTurkana an added advantage.
- Demonstrated leadership, staff, and team management qualities, including crisis and conflict management and mediation.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, consultants and project beneficiaries.
- Proven experience in managing complex partnership relationships in a participatory way.
- Ability to work well both in a team and independently.
- Ability to travel frequently and as required across the region.*Access to a passport of benefit.
- Ability to communicate efficiently across time zones – USG Eastern Standard Time primarily, and using email and phone.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook
Applications should include a CV, writing sample and a cover letter. In the cover letter (of no more than two pages in length), the potential candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience and salary requirements.
Please email materials to email@example.com include “Chief of Party – IMPACT Program - Turkana County” in the subject line
All applications must be submitted by email no later than April 27, 2018. The position will remain open until filled.
Africare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to workplace diversity.