IMPACT Project Monitoring and Evaluation Director
Africare is the oldest and largest African-American founded organization in the field. Africare's programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Throughout its 40 year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability.
Africare is rolling out the Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) project in Kenya. The goal of IMPACT is to significantly improve nutrition outcomes for pregnant and lactating women and infants and young children (defined as <2 years of age) in Turkana County. Africare aims thereby to sustainably increase diet diversity, and reduce malnutrition and hunger.
Africare will serve as lead in delivering the IMPACT Program. IMPACT currently targets villages in Katilu and Turkana South Wards where the program seeks to increase the quality and quantity of nutritious foods available to households via community gardening and improved nutrition services via health worker training and capacitation, in addition to promoting improved optimal infant and young child feeding (IYCF) and hygiene practices, and micronutrient supplementation via a set behavior change package owned by Africare; all of which will be delivered via specified channels at the health facility and community levels.
Africare seeks an M&E Director for the IMPACT Program. The incumbent will provide overall strategic leadership and accountability for the performance of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of Africare’s Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) Project. The Director will work in collaboration with staff of Africare and project consortium members, project field offices, and project implementing partners and key stakeholders in Government, development partners and non-governmental organizations (including the private sector). The Manager will manage field M&E staff, short-term surveys, and operational hires.
- Develop and implement project’s result-based M&E Plan, ensuring timely and accurate reporting on indicator-based performance, including reports for Africare. Identify appropriate performance indicators for tracking results and monitoring activities by preparing comprehensive project performance monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Oversee and manage project evaluation and all data quality assurance activities.
- Implement data quality control and information systems management. Assure strong project information management, with focus on key areas, and in line with Africare policies and guidance
- Implement all policies and guidance in relation to data flow and management for Africare.
- Support Project study activities through design of questionnaires and other tools; development of data collection protocols; oversight of survey work; data analysis; management of survey budget; and review of literature and technical reports.
- Generate knowledge products, regular reports, and learning materials per project requirements. In collaboration with project technical team at the field level and HQ, identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes that are key for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Implement information dissemination activities to ensure lessons learnt are integrated into the program.
- Produce required reporting content and documents as stipulated in the project’s document.
- Build capacity of M&E staff to enable them complete their tasks effectively; and ensure short-term survey hires complete their assigned tasks and observe appropriate protocols.
- Oversee M&E field staff and short-term survey hires, ensuring that responsible staff do monitor data collection and report timely and accurately.
- Support the design and rollout of project assessments and evaluations.
Degree (minimum Master’s degree, PhD or commensurate preferred) relating to monitoring and evaluation, research / research methods, and/or statistics or economic analytics with strong knowledge and skills in M&E, performance management, research and data management, or related field.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in M&E-related functions.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in planning, management and implementation of M&E systems.
- Experience in quantitative monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including experimental and quasi-experimental evaluations.
- Proven track record setting up and managing technologies for data capture and storage.
- Knowledge of ethics and related management policies for data capture, processing and management.
- Experience in data management, including data quality assurance processes, verification, and validation.
- Demonstrable dissemination and report writing skills with a publication or authoring record on quality research, evaluation, programs outcomes, for example, that can be shared; and the ability to discuss these and translate into reports and other materials.
- Experience in database management, DHIS2 and GiS applications; and in depth knowledge of essential computer applications such as MS Office packages, specifically Excel.
- Strong management, organizational and communication skills; fluency in English and Kiswahili.
- Fluency in HaTurkana a plus.
Applications should include CV, writing sample, and cover letter. In cover letter (of no more than two pages in length), the potential candidate should briefly describe his or her motivation for the position and highlight relevant experience and salary requirements.
Please email materials to email@example.com including “M&E Director – IMPACT Project -Turkana County” in the subject line
All applications must be received no later than April 27, 2018. The position will remain open until filled.
Africare is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer committed to workplace diversity.