Senior Staff Accountant
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) was founded in 1945 in the United States to respond to the humanitarian needs of post-war Europe. Today, LWR serves millions of people in poor and vulnerable communities around the world regardless of race, religion, orientation or ethnicity. Driven by local needs, LWR works with local organizations to strengthen their capacity and to ensure sustainability of programs addressing emergency relief and preparedness, agricultural development, water and sanitation, health and livelihoods, government accountability, and resilience in the face of climate change. LWR holds itself to the highest standards of transparency, accountability and stewardship, testing innovative approaches and then seeking ways to bring proven methods to scale.
The Senior Staff Accountant provides support to the Finance & Administration department on critical functions including management of cash receipt processing and LWR's corporate card program, and providing general finance support for Lutheran World Relief (LWR). This position is responsible for processing the semi-monthly payroll for Lutheran World Relief (LWR). The Senior Staff Accountant plays a key role in LWR's month-end closing process.
Corporate Credit Card Administrator
• Manage month end closing procedures for credit card transactions.
• Import individual card holder's transactions from LWR's on-line credit card system to the general ledger.
• Review transactions for appropriate coding, documentation and approval in compliance with LWR policies.
• Follow up with corporate card holders and supervisors in a timely manner as necessary to resolve discrepancies found.
• Serve as administrator to the on-line credit card system including system security, user access, and troubleshooting.
• Provide training and troubleshooting to all corporate card holders on how to use LWR's on-line credit card system.
• Ensure that LWR's on-line credit card system is updated regularly with appropriate coding.
General Finance Support
• Interpret finance policies and provide coding assistance and instruction to LWR staff.
• Review LWR's weekly accounts payable batches.
• Perform monthly and quarterly general ledger analysis on various asset, liability, revenue and expense accounts.
• Review semi-monthly wire transfer and program wire batches.
• Prepare LWR's monthly bank reconciliations.
• Record monthly investment activities and prepare quarterly appraisal report for the investment manager.
• Perform Phoenix and MIP reconciliations and make necessary adjustments to ensure information is up-to-date in both systems.
• As a member of the Phoenix Update Board (PUB) workgroup, participate in meetings as necessary and represent General Finance unit.
• Perform routine monthly closing processes including preparation of various journal vouchers as deemed necessary. Perform various activities when the staff accountant is absent.
• Take on other analysis and projects as assigned by the Director of Finance
• Provide support for LWR's annual audit and Form 990 preparation.
• Make recommendations for process improvements and participate in various initiatives to increase efficiency and productivity.
• Serve as system administrator for Anybill (disbursements) system.
• Serve as key contact for staff for all wire transfer support and inquiries (INTL).
• Provide limited backup when Director of Finance is absent.
Semi-monthly payroll processing
• Prepare semi-monthly payroll transmittals for ADP transmission. Following receipt of salary, personal data, and deduction information from HR, review HR entry, calculate effects of changes on current pay period, and manage the payroll process to ensure that necessary exceptions are processed correctly. Ensure the timely distribution of paychecks. Communicate with ADP representatives as needed.
• Provide pension and TSA contribution data for to plan administrator and ensure timely remittance of contributions to administrator. Review and approve pension & TSA funding request from plan administrator.
• Review LWR staff timesheets for compliance with LWR policies, including accurate coding and proper sign offs; follow up with LWR staff as needed for timely corrections.
• Research various state and local jurisdictions in order to determine filing and withholding requirements for each state, county, etc. in which payroll is processed; complete and submit appropriate applications and forms to maintain proper status (including terminations) with state agencies. Set up and delete withholding, unemployment, and other relevant tax accounts in the payroll system, and work with payroll vendor to respond to all inquiries from state agencies. Ensure proper and timely withholdings for U.S. expatriates paid through HQ.
• Ensure accurate and timely reporting of Expat benefits on a quarterly basis. Work closely with International Finance and Human Resource departments to gather necessary data.
• Responsible for system administration of payroll & timesheet related functions within the HRIS system.
Accounting support for payroll and benefits -related activities
• Prepare accident insurance and tax sheltered annuity (TSA) reports for monthly payments and submissions.
• Perform monthly allocations of salary, benefits, depreciation and shared services (ACS) for LWR.
• Provide payroll-related data for audit purposes and preparation of annual form 990 for LWR
• Provide payroll-related reports to Director of International Finance for annual NICRA calculation and assist with questions from LWR's cognizant Federal agency.
• Ensure proper funding of FSA bank accounts and coordinate additional funding or credit for forfeitures from/to participating agencies.
• Perform monthly reconciliation of Flexible Spending Account (FSA) bank accounts, and general ledger account with third party vendor balances and resolve discrepancies in a timely manner.
• Perform general ledger analysis for payroll related accounts in LWR's general ledger on a quarterly basis (or more frequent if deemed necessary). Perform the quarterly reconciliation of payroll tax reports (IRS 941) to general ledger.
• Process third party sick pay (TPSP) and ensure compensation is reported correctly on W2.
• Manage communication and distribution process for various forms and annual statements including W2 and 1095-C.
• Serve as system administrator for ADP system.
• Serve as key point of contact for LWR for payroll-related inquiries.
Support and analysis around payroll and benefits costs (budget, forecast, and actual)
• Prepare LWR's annual budgeted fringe benefit rate and shared service per FTE calculation.
• Ensure proper workers' compensation coverage by reporting changes to LWR's insurance broker; provide payroll related data and serve as the main point of contact on LWR's annual workers' compensation audit.
Cash and gifts receipt
• Update church body spreadsheets for contributions received.
• Oversee A/R invoicing including accounting services billings to the Lutheran Center Corporation (LCC) and Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS). Includes responsibility for ensuring that items are billed timely and accurately.
• Analyze trends and changes to LWR's extensive deferred gifts portfolio.
• Work in conjunction with the Director of Finance to review LWR's federal campaign contributions and calculate receivable balances on a quarterly basis.
• Review monthly reimbursement cash receipt batches and reconcile monthly bank activity Perform monthly/quarterly reconciliations of contributions between LWR's donor database and general ledger system and resolve variances timely.
• Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• Three (3) to Five (5) years' experience effectively performing day-to-day accounting functions including financial reporting. Experience in the non-profit sector is preferred.
• Solid/Advanced understanding of accounting principles; familiarity with specialized non-profit accounting principles strongly desirable.
• Three (3) to Five (5) years' experience with automated accounting systems and spreadsheets necessary. Knowledge of Abila MIP Fund accounting is preferred.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the capacity to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
• Professional integrity, initiative, dependability, and commitment to excellence.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
• Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce.
• Familiarity with Lutheranism, church structures, and church member motivations and sensitivities preferred